Friday, June 02, 2006

A heart to give this summer

Dpc just walked in like a penguin, and walked out like ... like .. (hmm.. I can't think of the exact thing that he represented) only dpc can :) ..

Quite contrary to my expectations, this internship has been (thus far) very predictable ..
And though I have fancied trying out a lot of things .. I haven't exactly found someone to accompany me on these adventures .. so I guess the ballroom dancing, the poker games and the road trip will have to wait for sometime longer.

Now, summers happen to be the time when my eyes widen a little more, my perspective extends beyond a few hours and a few days and a few movies and a few pages and a few grades ..
Summer is the time when I can and do look around a little more ... somehow, let my heart melt in the summer heat and fall for any sweet girl around, who sweeps the 70 odd kilograms of my fatty body off its 'chicken feet' ;) ...
Last summer, the story unfolded perfectly ... that is the melting part .. the rest (well .. I am sure you can guess how that went :( ).

This summer has been a little different. The heat here (probably hasn't reached 30 C yet, and it just keeps raining and getting chilly) is just not enough for a heart meltdown. So, despite the abundance of sweet girls around, no heart meltdown yet. Though other than the temperature, the major factor for the former is that most of these sweet females happen to be PhD candidates. So, even though they are prefectly nice and sweet, just no tweaking of the heart here.

And here I was, all prepared to give my heart to the one lady who enchanted me this summer. Seems like I might have to finally sell my heart on ebay (alongwith the bicycle I bought here). So, I am in the middle of deciding which one is a better deal (buy the bike, get the heart free .. or buy the heart, and get the bike free).
That smells like trouble...
I am sure the smart people have figured out why such a deal will only attract fishing buddies straight from the woods of Brokeback Mountain .. so that's no good. I am only selling my bicycle.

Of course, this is too early to get desperate. Its only the start of June, and all that happened (not much really, but quite a lot form my perspective) last summer did happen in June. And I do believe that the phenomenon of heart meltdown happens when you least expect it to ...

I still have almost 7 weeks to survive here .. and I am already missing home :(( .. missing my friends .. missing kgp .. missing those nice, lazy, long lab sessions from last summer and somthing more ..

And already thinking of what all I am going to miss next summer .. going to miss the cool weather here, the scenic beauty of Redmond, the money, the tons of ice-cream, Microsoft's pampering, the luxurious apartment and kitchen. But something tells me that I am not going to miss all these as much as I miss the things that happened last summer.

And all this reminds me that this is probably not the best time to miss the world. This is the time to enjoy it. And what better way to do it than wearing your heart on your sleeve!!!
There are places to go, things to do ... after all, I must have some nice stories to tell my kids of my first trip to the US :).

And after all that, let's forget there is code to be written and heuristics to be thought of ...
It's going to be a good summer .. but I somehow expect a little more from June .. because I really want a wonderful summer .. and who knows from where the surprise will pop up!!

Waiting in anticipation :)
Oh, by the way, I meant "let's not forget" in the code-writing reminder ;)

7 comments:

Romram said...

dude u gotta move on!!!! It exactly and year now that ur herat began to swung but thats pat now. You got to get over it now. I know the lovely romantic weather at Redmond and the company of rather dull souls( in such things) is making ur heart beta faster but don't get desperate. Why do you u at all need to be committed at this point of ur life. You have a great family and a great bunch of friends to talk to so why repent over the fact that u don't have anyone to give ur heart to.
Dude don't remember the last summer otherwise the next summer u will not have any memories from this one. So go out, have fun and have a blast

Anonymous said...

"But something tells me that I am not going to miss all these as much as I miss the things that happened last summer."

"I somehow expect a little more from June .. because I really want a wonderful summer"

seems tht u have a broadband connection with the allmighty...keep it up and running try to know a bit more precisely when exactly it is going to happen.

sometimes I tend to think tht somehow u try to be a too perfect a human being ...knowing when to feel sorrow..when to overcome that...when to think novel heuristics...when to anticipate sweet girls coming ur way...when leave hope...and when to rise above all mundane things and chill out with friends...well...Mr.Know_it_all this "dull soul" thinks that u need to add a bit of imperfection to ur perfect life..Who knows, maybe that will do the work for u one day.

Anonymous said...

btw I was impersonating "dark lord vader" from star wars when I was going out :D :D

Romram said...

@DPC: broadband connection with almighty.... lol....

Anonymous said...

sighh...there u go again...

Lalita said...

Mama mia. Here he goes again. You haven't gotten the lesson of last summer yet?

Wait, Shaunak. Love is sorta like lightning. You never know when or where it will strike.

I was just going to add you to my nagging service to bloggers I have linked with and then, dear boy, you post.

What a delicious post.

Cheers!

Mayank said...

"And all this reminds me that this is probably not the best time to miss the world. This is the time to enjoy it."
I loved these lines !! ..so true


"nice stories to tell my kids of my first trip to the US :)."
-- hehe ...last summer's might make a better story ..Ek raani thi 2 raja the ..hehe !

"It's going to be a good summer .. but I somehow expect a little more from June .. because I really want a wonderful summer .. and who knows from where the surprise will pop up!!"

...hope ur wish comes true ..!!!