Friday, July 15, 2005

Bridging the timeline ...

The (very long) summer holidays "finally" coming to an end ... i spent almost three weeks of it at home (thats an aggregate of my four odd weekends and three longer stays) .. so i guess i did fair justice to both my parents and my institute (after all both of them need me , the mighty indispensable "ME" ;-) )

Now the crunch time has come when i sit down and evaluate my summer based on my expectations and actual achievements (if any) and surprise myself !!!

Before the summer started , the things that i had in my mind were as follows :
1) a summer project on AI (now this has been my schooldays' fantasy .. still remember writing something about AI as my future ambition in our school diary)

2) a thorough review of the algorithms already studied and some newer topics ("algorithms" still remains my favourite topic in CS .. the only (academic) thing that i dont mind breaking my head over)

3) learning JAVA programming really well .. even got hold of both volumes of Core Java .. (now for the uninitiated .. i have been trying to learn Java from my second sem .. many people suspect that i know Java because three semesters is a long time .. but i really cant even write the simplest program in Java without consulting a book !! Now its another story that the same can be said about my C skills after a month's detachment from coding ;-) )

4) getting introduced to the basics of bioinformatics and computational biology (still thinking about doing my B.Tech project on this topic because it provides ample scope for application of algorithms and AI :-) .. as far as i know ;-) )

5) maybe start an informal preparation for my GRE !!

6) start reading once again .. after all most educated people (with ignoble exceptions like me) love reading . this has often made me wonder as to why i find a book too tedious a venture ...
( i even hate reading acad stuff from books .. after all what are notes for ??!! )

and now some of the wicked ideas ..
7) get dpc as project partner to ensure that i don't have to work more than i wish to ( now its not that dpc is not aware of my malicious intentions .. its just that he is too nice and lives under the misconception that i have some supernatural powers to save the day (like debugging the CPU in 3 days flat) ;-) if it ever comes to that !!

8) do absolutely NO work on prof.sarkar's ISRO project !! unless its a field survey where he offers us a sumptuous treat .

9) be consciously aware of people's birthdays and any other auspicious occasion , in order to "demand" more savoury treats !!

10) (re)learn swimming (not really a wicked idea .. just that i remembered it now and do not feeling like going up and changing the numbers ...... )

So .. i was set to have the most enriching summer in eons ( let me tell you .. i have such grand plans for each and every holiday .. they get grander with time and thus end up in even more spectacular failures ) or was history going to repeat itself ????

The self-evaluation will be up shortly (feeling very lazy at the moment) . The important thing to note is (if you havent already) that i am back in the present .. having renounced the idea of going back and back (please overlook the grammatical incongruities) in time .


2 comments:

Subin said...

A bit difficult for a ceramic engineer to understand the short forms that you have used. I agree with you on point no.10 Here i have also rejoined swimmimng.
Subin

Subin said...

Interesting coincidences:
1.Shaunak spelt backwards:In the novel
"the God Of Small of Things",the characters Estha and Rahel from KERALA
used to spell words backwords and get brickbats from Baby Kochamma.
2.The Italian word la vita e bella:It was the name of a reastaurant in KERALA.The restaurant was closed down as it sold dog meat in the name of mutton.