Thursday, February 16, 2006

"Dreams come true"

If you haven't read my previous post, you might as well go ahead and do that, to 'understand' and "enjoy" this post more.

So, now that you know of my two dearest dreams (assuming you managed to decode "the bespectacled smile"), it gives me great pleasure in announcing the realization of one of them. Ironically, this is the only that I had actually achieved in my dreams. Even my dreams have never treaded into the proximity of "the smile".

Microsoft Research, Redmond.
The positives :
  • Always wanted this Internship more than any other
  • More money than anything else
  • Its Microsoft, and its Research ... a terrific combination
  • Great work, I am sure (though I am yet to find out what it is!!)
  • Don't need to worry about how much I would be making/saving (will be more than enough)
  • The 'dpc' factor : this was a late addition. What an entry !!!! No mail, no interview, just direct offer !!! Guess, that's the way the real studs operate (P.S. : I also got selected in a group which didn't interview me, some other group had ...... so that makes me a pseudo-stud, at least :D). So, now I can once again work the way I do, that is dpc works, I appreciate it, suggest modifications and then he works again ... hmmm, MSR must really love me, they just have a perfect summer planned out for me.
  • A lot more reasons to cheer .. will find out as they unfold post 2nd May .. will keep posting in this space ... promise :)
The negatives :
  • No "Evening at Eiffel Tower with ....." : But when thr was no '.....' , then what charm would Eiffel Tower have had ??
  • Arka didn't get it. That would have been real fun. Though, a man of his calibre, deserves better .... and USC is more suited to his ambitions and interests. But would have been nice with him there.
  • That's enough. A dream Internship isn't supposed to have too many negatives anyways.

For all those who have been congratulating me throughout the day,
THANKS !!!! Special thanks to my wingies and Kundu (kind of hoping this special mention will make them considerate when they go for the cal treat ;). Hopefully, will be in a position to give you all a treat .. contact dpc for more details ;)

Here's looking at the larger picture :
Big dream 1 : IITJEE - cleared with flying colours, undeservedly
Big dream 2 : The bespectacled smile - failed miserably, most probably, deservedly
Big dream 3 : MSR Internship - achieved, undeservedly ;)
Big dream 4 : As of now, 'the smile' .... its only when you have achieved all your dreams that you feel complete ......... completely happy :) - outcome : unknown, prediction : failure :((

Here's remembering the day which has been my happiest since (well .. cant remember the exact date when JEE results came out :P) ... ya, since that time. A day when India won the cricket series in Pakistan, my mother celebrated her birthday by getting a tooth pulled out, dpc celebrated waking up to a real surprise, venu celebrated being on cloud 9 and I ..... I realized it was time I became a little more deserving for all the wonderful things that keep happening to me.

For those expecting an amazing galvanization in me, I would like to tell you that I have these realizations once every month on an average. So ...

For those not expecting an amazing galvanization in me, I would like to remind them that its not every month that I get a Microsoft Research Internship. So ...

And now, since I am not in a mood to study for the remote Monday test, I will try and decide to which of the above groups I belong, should belong, would like to belong and so on ....

Endnote : "Dreams come true" (Westlife) ... Favorite music ... 'eternal optimist' ? ... impossible dream ... 'power cut .. darkness around .. bespectacled smile' .... a summer to remember (2005 or 2006) ? .... "Dreams come true", sometimes.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes man..dreams do come true..and i know once again it will be dpc working his ass off and in the end you will be enjoying the fruits of his labour.. :P !!

Pigol..

Anonymous said...

"the bespectacled smile"
somethings always elude great men.

be it the
"black hole" for the astronomers.
"profit" for artists.
"unicorn" for the dreamers.
"a perfect business" for businessmen
"machines ruling the world instead of humans" for me & ~the great men clause

just accept it.

or ready for another effort to win that smile. Wish you good luck and nothing more.

ps: please bother with my overt and uncouth philosophy and dont write any comments about them in your final judgement comment.This is a maximum priority personal request.

Anonymous said...

nice...its like euphoria is tapkoing from your blog too....

Anonymous said...

and yaa the first thought that came into my mind after hearing bout dpc's selection too was his hilarious "amar ki hobe !! amaaaar ki hobe !!", we definitely bahut hoy gelo re....

Anonymous said...

Nice article.Your blog along with sourish's should help me in my gre prep.Chalo bye.And hey man u deseve both ur grand succeses(iit,msr).They were no flukes.Chalo bye!


Ravi Sastry

Romram said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
shaunak said...

@golp : sabhi ke life ka ek maksat hota hai ... mine is to take help from dpc, dpc's is to help me :D

@dpc : No comments .. just remember the 'clause' i spoke of.

@katoch : euphoria for sure .. but yet to hear from them since .. so kinda apprehensive. bout dpc, "bahut hoye gelo" for sure ;)

@ravi : always eager to help (ab GRE crack karke bhi toh hume hi treat dega :D ). And u rele dont know how big flukes those were ... wait till MSR stops taking students from kgp next year.

@tidu : ab aur bol toh nahi sakta ...
can't change the way u think ..
can't change the way i think either :(
ab toh aadat si ho gayi hai .. aise jeene ki (bas beech mein dehli aur MSR lage rahe .. toh zindagi kat jaaye ;) )

Anonymous said...

congrats man!
you certainly deserve all this and more

Subin said...

congratulations!!!! What about the treat :)

Anonymous said...

congrats...!!!
U deserved it.

Mantri said...

look at the contrast in your last two posts.
in one you come across as a i-pity-myself for what i may miss and what others have achieved kind of fever.

in the latest you are in a Life-is-beautiful hangover....

i believe these are smaller battles that you have won. the bigger wars have yet to come.

and remember "till the head is above the water , u will live"

congrats!

umang said...

Since u,ve got one of your two dreams fulfilled,u can now concentrate better
on the other one.Don't have a clue about
the "smiley",in ur dreams but may u get
success there as well.
Congratulations!!

Scube said...

Congrats on MSR.. you sure will have a lot of work as well as fun there..
and btw, you write very well..
Cheers!
Siddharth

shaunak said...

@sankalp : main hindi mein baat toh kar sakta hoon, par pura blog nahi likh sakta [:P]

@bcs : thanks, more so for wrongly believing that i deserve this ;-)

@subin : thanks. about the treat, ab to tu cal aa hi ja, we will get ur T-shirt and a grand treat. kya bolta hai ??

@nikhil : congrats to you too for invitrogen. and i am sure that was more deserved than this one.

@mantri : 'the bigger wars are yet to come' - yup, will remember that. thanks for visiting.

@shubhra : never actually got what u meant by 'about MSR, you know what you deserve' - the last time you commented on my blog. Anyways, thanks :-). Dont think I have seen you online since I installed the new version of YM, which was three months back !! Wanted to talk to you about something :)

@umang : 'smiley' - nice one :), though success is an impossibility in that one. Nonetheless, thanks for the encouragement and for dropping by.

@sidseth : Congrats to you !!! MIT !!! went to your blog, but didnt find the post most mortal narcissists would have written after such an achievement, so couldn't congratulate you there.
Thanks for dropping by, and for all the compliments.

Lancelot said...

"evening at eiffel tower" reminds me of other stuff!!! strange, had something on very similar lines once :)) .... as for explanations, you can have them if you want to, but keeping some things unexplained keeps the romance of the unknown in your life :P