Thursday, February 23, 2006

The Wonder Years

I have watched quite a few TV series, while in Kharagpur. Namely the evergreen "Friends", the suave "Apprentice" and the not-so-suave "Apprentice UK", the slapstick "Joey", the teenage-drama "One Tree Hill", the classical "Rome", the strangely-popular "Desperate Housewives", the ribald "Coupling", the clever-twins "Hustle" and "Numb3rs" ..... . .

Now, I feel a little guilty that if I were to line up the courses I took here, the latter list would be shorter !! But, thats beside the point.

The one series that I like the most, can relate to the most, brings tears to my eyes the most (not tears of sadness, mostly of inspiration and joy - though I never shed them, a little discrete about that :-) ), the one series that is closest to my heart would be "The Wonder Years". It might be due to the strange fact that Kevin Arnold (the protagonist) is just in High School and in the early seventies - so in mental maturity, pretty similar to me ;-). But its not just that. The simplicity with which so many incidents are narrated, the valuable lessons of life (like passing in a math exam .. lol) that come through .... its wonderful.

I still remember that I first saw a few episodes of TWY at the start of my second year, when I was going through a difficult phase. And how I just kept on watching those episodes, one after another .... I just loved it.

Had a torrid first half of the week - when three out of four exams walked down the line of 'horrible-ness' despite my best efforts (which started Sunday evening, and included two trips to Billoos on Monday and Tuesday evening :-) ). Realized that 'A' is actually a pretty good grade and there a lot of people who are happier than me with an 'A' or 'B'. But, I guess everyone has some 'moh-maaya' in his/her life. For me, this just currently happens to be 'My grades'. All I need is a 'Weenie' (that's the best way of spelling the name that I could think of) Cooper and then I can bid adieu to post-bad-examination regret.

And this rekindled love for TWY was initiated by watching two episodes yesterday in Katoch's room. Kevin Arnold thinking ---- "I thought there was a connection between me and Weenie through the spotlight. All I knew was that by focussing the spotlight on her, I was holding her up, and I couldn't let her down. I just couldn't let her down ... "

I just wish that I can enjoy "The Wonder Years" as much when I am fifty and dying. Let the little innocence and goodness in me never die out.

5 comments:

Subin said...

i have heard a lot about the series 'wonder years'.but i have never ever followed a tv series( unclear of the reason though). but i do watch a lot of movies. the list will outnumber the courses that i have taken. hope our wonder years last forever!

Romram said...

"Now, I feel a little guilty that if I were to line up the courses I took here, the latter list would be shorter !! But, thats beside the point :D:D

and abt the grades... tu jitna marzi ro... lagna to tera EX hi hai... aur haan rona chod de.... kyunki kabhi na chate hue bhi bhagwaan sun leta hain

Anonymous said...

kyaa be bas pachaas saal main mar jaayega [:O]

Anonymous said...

"Realized that 'A' is actually a pretty good grade and there a lot of people who are happier than me with an 'A' or 'B'. " - Alarming!

"when I am fifty and dying" - What?

"But, I guess everyone has some 'moh-maaya' in his/her life." - Very true. Thats what we live for, don't we?

And this might not be very appropriate, but I just couldnt help noticing it. The overall tone in the blog seems to be bordering dangerously close to the dreaded adjective - "effeminate". I mean, something seems to be going wrong here. "Half-roti"s... this... what next??

Anonymous said...

most of the rest has already been said by others, but "WEENIE"??????????????
U r an ass!!! its winnie!!!